I learn cooking from my mother who was a great intuitive Nyonya Cook. I have fond memory of her steaming rice cakes with a wood fire stove and the aroma of steamed rice cake with taro yam permeated the air. Here is the old-fashion steamed rice cake to share with you. Hope you enjoy with a happy and grounded mood.
Steamed brown rice cake with taro yam
Taro Yam 700g
Brown rice cooking oil 2 tablespoons
Cambodian Long grain brown rice, cooked 450g
Radiant Activated garbanzo beans, cooked 45g
950ml-1L filtered water
Unsui Corn starch 65g
Unsui Jyoshinko rice flour 100g
Radiant Brown rice flour 200g
Unsui pure Kombu shiitake dashi powder 10g
Unsui Macrobiotic Sea Salt 8g
Unsui freshly crushed pepper powder ¼ teaspoon
Unsui Vegan sambal chili paste
Unsui pure sesame oil, toasted
Radiant peanuts with skin, toasted and chopped
Unsui Nori strips
Optional: Chopped and toasted garlic or shallots
- Peel Taro, cut into 1cm cubes. Cooking in warm brown rice oil for 5-8 minutes until slightly translucent. Add a pinch of sea salt. Mix well. Remove from fire, let cool.
- Add water to the cooked brown rice and garbanzo, puree in a blender until smooth. Add brown rice flour, corn starch, Jyoshinko rice flour, and the seasoning. Mix well. Transfer to a ceramic earthen pot. Cook until puree appears thick and heavy, about 70% cooked. Stir while cooking.
- Transfer to a glass container, level the surface with a spatula moistened with water. Steam over rapid boiling water for about 20-25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
- Serve with toasted chopped peanut, sambal chili and drizzle with toasted sesame oil, nori strips and garnish with coriander leaves.
By June Ka Lim, macrobiotic vegan chef
Copyrights reserved 2015
- Taro yam grows at higher altitude, it is drier and contains less carbohydrates and more Yang in energy. It is helpful in healing inflammation of internal organs.
- Macrobiotic sea salt is dried under the sun and washed, hence contains less minerals than grey sea salt. As such macrobiotic sea salt is less burdening on the kidneys.
- Adding garbanzo beans to the cooked brown rice creates a complete protein combination.
- Unsui sambal is prepared with okara (organic soybean puree), shiro miso, shoyu, macrobiotic sea salt, herbs and spices. This combination creates a neutral and slightly Yin characteristics.
- Instead of taro, daikon radish or even carrot could be added for different energy and tastes.